Field Notes Haxley Sketchbooks (Set 2)
Field Notes Haxley Sketchbooks (2)
The “Haxley” edition includes two 64-page books. The first is a “Story Book,” featuring ruled pages alongside Jay’s 31 black-and-white drawings. You can expand on Haxley’s adventure, or, just maybe, recount a completely different journey, one you make yourself.
The other book in the 2-Pack is a “Sketch Book” with blank pages. We trust you can find a way to fill that one up.Specifications of the Field Notes Original Mixed Notebook
Chicago-area illustrator/postermaker Jay Ryan is an old friend of Field Notes. He’s a craftsman with great visual style and more than his fair share of imagination, and you can see tons of his work at The Bird Machine. For years we’ve been looking for a way to collaborate with Jay for Field Notes.
During October 2017, Jay set himself a goal of creating one small ink illustration each day. These drawings revealed a story about a bear and his squirrel neighbors. We followed Jay’s progress on Instagram, and found the drawings irresistible. We knew that they’d look great in a special Field Notes edition. Jay agreed. He revealed the bear’s name is Haxley, and that this story is sort of a preamble to a larger project that he’s been kicking around for years. We can’t wait to see that.
Both books feature Neenah Royal Sundance Felt “Warm White” covers with four spot colors and a fifth-glow-in-the-dark ink, illuminating the flashlight beams. They’re PUR-bound with Domtar Cougar smooth 70# “Natural” text paper inside.
Note: We have a limited number of uncut, signed and numbered press sheets from the Haxley print run, available for sale. And, of course, they include the glow-in-the-dark flashlight beams!
Everyone is invited to tag along on Haxley’s adventure, but it might be best if you bring a kid with you, and maybe a couple squirrels with flashlights too.
01. Proudly printed by the good people of eDOC Communications, Mount Prospect, Ill.
02. Cover: Neenah Royal Sundance Felt 100#C “Warm White,” with a thick, brute force application of four soy-based Saphira inks.
03. Innards: Domtar Cougar 70#T “Natural,” with a fine, 3-color application of soy-based Saphira inks.
04. Cover and innards printed on a Heidelberg Speedmaster XL 105 40" 6-color press.
05. Glow-in-the-dark ink screen-printed at H&H Graphics, Vernon Hills, Ill.
06. Bound by Specialty Finishing Group, Elk Grove Village, Ill., with the Wohlenberg Quickbinder PUR system with Henkel TechnoMelt PUR 3365 and GA 007A glues.
07. Corners rounded to a 3/8" (9.5mm) radius with a Challenge SCM corner-rounder.
08. Ruled lines (“Story Book” only): approx. 1/4" (6.4mm). ("Sketch Book" is blank)
09. Memo book dimensions are 3–1/2"× 5–1/2" (89mm × 140mm).
10. Characters and images herein are the property of THE BIRD MACHINE, INC.
11. FIELD NOTES uses only the Futura typeface family (Paul Renner, 1927) in its materials.
12. All FIELD NOTES memo books are printed and manufactured in the U.S.A.